J-1 HIGH SCHOOL EXCHANGE PROGRAM
SSAYEI provides outbound program opportunities for high school students from the Philippines to study in an American high school and live with an American family.
The J-1 exchange visitor program enables high school students between the age of 15 and 18 from the Philippines the opportunity to live with a family in the United States and learn firsthand about the American way of life. As SSAYEI Exchange Student, you will live as a member of your host family, attending the local high school for one academic school year, and becoming part of the community in your new hometown.
To become a high school exchange program participant, the applicant must go through a sponsoring organization designated by the U.S. Department of State. SSAYEI has been a trusted partner of such sponsoring organizations.
- Host family placement with full room and board
- Accredited High School placement
- Monthly oversight and support by a local coordinator
- Orientation in the Philippines and in the country of destination (USA)
- Full coverage health insurance
- Assistance with obtaining a visa
Below are the high school programs that are open to students:
- The Academic Year Program: The full academic year program that lasts approximately 10 months. It starts in September and ends in June.
- The Fall Semester Program: A semester program that lasts approximately 5 months. It starts in September and ends in January.
- The Spring Semester Program: A semester program that lasts approximately 5 months. It starts in January and ends in June.
- The Calendar Year Program: A year long program that lasts approximately 12 months. It starts in January and ends in December or the following January.
Am I eligible?
To participate in the J-1 High School USA program, you must:
- Be between 15 and 18 years of age
- Have sufficiently proficient English to successfully interact in an English speaking environment.
- Be willing to accept any host family and high school placement assigned to them
- Maintain a good overall academic record
- Be mature, flexible, and adaptable
- Have proof of English language skills
- Students should not have completed more than 11 years of primary and secondary school, excluding Kindergarten, in their home country;
- Participants are not allowed to live with relatives.